[0.8] Re: hist-games: Latrunculi

Ramutis Giliauskas Ramutis.Giliauskas at hwcn.org
Wed Nov 23 05:17:25 PST 2005

If it is a military "game" which I suspect it is, the rules you use are
incorrect.

The military have always used military training models (as in little
soldiers or blocks that represent groups). These can be found in various
military museums with artifacts that date back to the 16th century. The
ones from that period have manuals that mention their use in previous
times. Also ask some old soldiers about training tools before computors.

Latrunculi is a "game " to train legates, etc in the movement of
cohorts. The game is very logical and when seen as a training tool
everything falls into place.

Multiple movement, capture by enclosure, sieges, shield walls, everything
you read in the old Roman texts about cohort battles can be seen in this
game.

The rules are the same ones you would encounter in the field. They are
very logical and practical, based on real world military experience from
that time.

There are lots of excellent battle sims for computors (eg Roman TotalW,
The great Battles of Caesar. etc) If you watch them you will find the
answer.

Gil