hist-games: Latrunculi

u.schaedler at museedujeu.com u.schaedler at museedujeu.com
Tue Nov 22 00:03:18 PST 2005

This is unfortunately not a good article about the Latrunculi game.
Concerning the game board found in Stanway it is mere conjecture to
interpret this as an interrupted Latrunculi game. There will be an
extensive discussion of the find in the forthcoming final excavation
report. The excavator Philip Crummy told me that all what has been said by
himself previously will be left aside. The game was certainly not played
with two different types of pieces.
Concerning the website in question see a commentary under
www.boardgamesstudies.org/research notes.
About the game see the most detailed study on the subject: U. Schädler,
Latrunculi, ein verlorenes strategisches Brettspiel der Römer, in: Homo
Ludens IV, 1994, 47-67 with a complete discusssion of all the important
literary and archaeological sources.

Best
Ulrich