hist-games: Indian War-games]

u.schaedler at museedujeu.com u.schaedler at museedujeu.com
Mon Nov 14 00:17:48 PST 2005

I agree. Board games are a threshold between the real world and the world
of the gods. They transcend both worlds. There purely rational
(geometrical, mathematical) structure (which cannot be observed in nature
but which is a spiritual concept) makes them part of the spriritual world,
but they exist also in the world of the humans. Moreover one can find
(especially in India) the belief that games are irresistible: Not even the
gods can resist when somebody offers them to play a game. So they have a
kind of power which people believed to be divine (in a way comparable to
the power of love, that's why there are goddesses of love all over). They
are also a symbol for eternal happiness; that's why one finds so many
games in graves.

Ulrich

Concerning the appearance: It is not easy to carve a game board into stone.