hist-games: Indian War-games

Damian Walker damian at snigfarp.karoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 22:56:14 PST 2005

Quoting u.schaedler at museedujeu.com's message of Yesterday:

> just a short remark: the games scratched into the roofing slabs at
> Kurna are NOT DATED. Nowadays egyptologists think they are
> relatively recent (Islamic period).

Has this caused a revision in the accepted dates for many games?  I'm
thinking of alquerque and nine mens morris in particular, which have
sometimes been said to date from ancient Egypt on the basis of these
boards.  I always found it odd that a game would be played in an ancient
Egyptian temple, and then not be apparently played again for two
thousand years or more.

--
Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/