hist-games: Indian War-games]

Pat Smith patsmith at dnaco.net
Fri Nov 11 04:09:01 PST 2005

When they disassembled and moved the temples at High Aswan to keep them
from being flooded, a grad student recorded all the enscriptons on the
stone faces that had not been exposed to view since the temples were
built around 1400 BC. If an enscription doesn't match one of those
preserved enscriptions, (there were thousands) it is presumed to be of a
later period.  There have been a couple other instances since then when
ancient structures have been disturbed for one reason or another, and
surfaces not previously exposed have come to light, at least
temporarily. Inevitably, markings of one sort or another will be exposed
when this happens, and the archeologists can build a reference chart for
dating based on the design  and style of the markings, and the known
dates when the structures were built. The doctorial thesis that come
from these instances ca make invaluable reading, although I would not
actually advocate having an earthquake level a 2500 year old temple just
to read the graffiti on the underside of the stones. Still, when it
happens I'm glad someone is recording what the long-ago stone masons
left for us to find.

Pat Smith