hist-games: Halatafl

Damian Walker damian at snigfarp.karoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 22:47:22 PST 2005

Quoting Jane & Mark Waks's message of Wednesday:

> But at the same time, it isn't clear to me that the evidence linking
> Halatafl so strongly to Fox and Geese is all that much stronger.
> I've just taken a quick dig through my books, and while all the
> major sources (Murray, Bell, Parlett) parrot that link, none seem to
> substantiate it. Indeed, I don't come across any obvious evidence
> beyond having "Fox" in the name.

The word hali means tail, rather than fox.  It has been used to denote a
fox in the poetic phrase "skauf-hali" (sheaf-tail) but on its own it can
refer to the tail of other animals, too.  So that link is even more
tenuous.

--
Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/