hist-games: Halatafl

u.schaedler at museedujeu.com u.schaedler at museedujeu.com
Thu Nov 10 03:40:48 PST 2005

As far as I know we know very little about Viking board games. It seems
that Hnefatafl is practically the only game about which some plausible
assumptions have been made, notably the equation with tablut (after
Linnaeus' description in the 18th century). The Ballinderry board (and
other similar boards) is usually taken to be a Hnefatafl board. Normally
also the gaming stones in the Birka graves are interpreted as Hnefatafl
pieces.
Peg-shaped pieces on the other hand are known from 1st century Britain
(Verulamium, King Harry Lane site), but the number of pieces on bothe
sides seems to have been identical, although one piece on one side is
marked as a special piece.
Roman games seem to have been known since they appear already in Germanic
graves dating to the 3rd century, and finally among the Vimose boards (XX
scripta/alea-board).

See recently Karsten Michaelsen's article Games and gaming pieces in Iron
age Denmark, in "Step by Step", ed. by J. Retschitzki and R. Haddad-Zubel,
Fribourg, 2002, p. 65-76.

Does anybody know anything reliable about Halatafl?

Ulrich Schädler