hist-games: Halatafl

Huette von Ahrens huette_aliza at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 13:39:34 PST 2005

>    1. Halatafl (Mats Winther)

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 18:46:24 +0100
> From: "Mats Winther" <mwi9 at swipnet.se>
> Subject: hist-games: Halatafl
> To: hist-games at www.pbm.com
>
> Hi!
>
> This is my first posting. I've made a little
> research on the Viking
> game Halatafl. What do you think?
>
> http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/halatafl.htm
>
> Mats Winther

Since no one else has answered, I think that is not a
good site.
The game is not Halatafl.  It is closer to Alquerque,
but not the same.  The thing you have to realize is
that usually Viking games are games of unequal
opponents.  Halatafl is what we now call
"Fox and geese".  It is played on a cross shaped board
with one fox and either 13 or 17 geese, depending on
which era you are using.  You can find better example
so this game all over the internet.

Huette

"While I dance I cannot judge,
I cannot hate,