hist-games: FW: Senet

u.schaedler at museedujeu.com u.schaedler at museedujeu.com
Mon Oct 31 00:54:26 PST 2005

Hi,
concerning references to ancient board games, one should be very very
careful.

Yes there are boards with holes in it which have been found in various
neolithic sites, but nobody proved that these were used for board games.
It is also rather unlikely, since for inventing a board game man must have
the capability of abstract symbolic thinking and a notion of mathematics,
which probably developed only at about the same period when writing was
invented (around 3000 BC).

The earliest definite mancala boards I know are those from Abu Sha'ar (a
late Roman fortress dating to the 4th century AD): see the recent article
by Sidebotham and Mulvin in "Antiquity".

The so-called backgammon board described in laputanlogic (and other web
sites)is nothing else than a board for the game of 20 squares, which is
known from Ur (about 2500 BC). A backgammon-type board (i.e. a board
similar to Roman "XII scripta" or "Alea" boards has recently been
discovered among the finds from Jiroft (about 2000 BC).

The oldest 9-men's morris boards I know of do not predate the Roman era.
The famous game board designs on the roofs of Egyptian temples at Kurna
for example are dated by Egyptologists to Islamic times (7th cent. AD at
the earliest).

The sources concerning the age of Go are extremely difficult to interprete
and often unreliable.

In short: one should be extremely careful with "information" on the
internet, which is very often third hand. The best thing to do is to check
the scientific, serious literature in the nearest university library...

Best
Ulrich
Swiss Museum of Games
www.museedujeu.com