hist-games: FW: Senet

u.schaedler at museedujeu.com u.schaedler at museedujeu.com
Mon Oct 31 00:37:10 PST 2005

Hi James,
just a quick and spontaneous answer: As far as I know the oldest board
found which can "definitely" be identified as a game board is an Egyptian
one with 3 x 6 squares (I remember having seen a photograph, but don't
know where). The oldest senet board seems to be the one from El-Mahasna
near Abydos(actually in the Royal Museum Brussels). At least this is what
is said in the Marseille catalogue "Jouer dans l'Antiquité".
You are right: Whoolley worked in Ur. I don't know of major undertakings
by him in Egypt.
It is always the same: Don't trust in internet sites. The internet is the
greatest desinformation-system existing.

The site you indicate is horrible: The game that the Greek heroes Ajax and
Achilles play is definitely the "five lines" game, since this can bee seen
on a vase in Brussels where the game board with its five parallel lines
and twice five pices at the ends of the lines are depicted.
And Alfonso is of course 1283 or 84 and not 1383.
And so on...

Best regards
Ulrich
Swiss Museum of Games