hist-games: Celtic "Chess" find??

Chas webmaster at historicgames.com
Mon Feb 28 16:42:27 PST 2005

I just got home from peddling our wares at a living history fair in
Wisconsin and had someone trying to tell me that there was a recent
grave find on the Isle of Man which included Chess pieces earlier than
had previously been known in Britain. He -insisted- it was evidence that
chess originated with the Celts -contrary to mainstream theories about
chess.

I assume he was perhaps confused by a Celtic game like Fidchell, or
Brandhu which, unfortunately, are occasionally referred to as "Celtic
chess", or mistakenly combining them with the Isle of Lewis Chessmen.

But, has anyone heard of a recent game find in connection with the Isle
of Man?

Chas
--
MacGregor Historic Games