hist-games: Lance-knights (card) game

Matthew Whitaker esugenas at jps.net
Thu Mar 11 07:07:20 PST 2004

It looks like your Lance Knight is probably Lansquenet which is a card
game.

Seemingly played in Land(e)sknecht Germany; according to the History of
Playing Cards, the first time this was mentioned was in Rabelais'
Gargantua (fifth edition) published in 1542.

The two references I have for the game are:

1) The Compleat Anachronist #71 [January 1994]:  Period Pastimes, by
Patrick J Smith; p16 [a publication of the Society for Creative
Anachronism]

2) A History of Card Games by David Parlett, Oxford University Press,
1991, ISBN:  0-19-282905-x, p76-77

Also, Pique (French) and Pik (German) are translations of the Spades
Suit.

Hope that helps,
Matthew