hist-games: The oldest complete backgammon set

John Stewart jtstewart at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jan 28 20:11:50 PST 2004

Hi there.
I expect that most people would know about this but I thought I should post
the site address for the Gloucester Tables Set.  It is the oldest complete
backgammon set known to exist.  It was found in 1983 and was made about the
11th century.  The pieces are made from bone or antler.  The site has
pictures of all the game pieces with a page dedicated to each one.  It is a
great site.  I hope you might find it as interesting as I did.
http://www.mylife.gloucester.gov.uk/City%20Museum/Tables/gloucest.htm
Cheers
John