hist-games: Sources

Imran Ghory imran at bits.bris.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 17:09:40 PST 2003

Annother transcription I've got up:

THE Nicker Nicked: OR, THE CHEATS OF GAMING DISCOVERED
http://bits.bris.ac.uk/imran/games/nicked.txt

To avoid a duplication of effort here's a list of works I'm currently
working towards transcribing:

Charles Cotton : The Compleat Gamester
Theophilus Lucas : Lives of the Gamesters
Joseph Strutt : The Sports and Pastimes of the People of England

And I know someone else is working on Caxton's Game at Chess.

I should have those three available online by the end of the year.

Other things I'll probably be transcribing are,

The letter dated 13/12/1539 from the Earl of Southampton to King Henry
VIII which mentions teaching Anne of Cleves to play Cent. (Surprisingly
the Earl wasn't the only person to document the events of that evening, in
The Lisle letters. Vol.5 (edited by Muriel St. Clare Byrne, University of
Chicago Press, 1981.) another letter giving further details of the gaming
is quoted, however I haven't been able to identify where this letter came
from so I haven't been able to get a full copy. It's located on page 726
if anyone else wants to have a go at tracing it).

Further section from Nares glossary, given the fair amount of interest in
the copy of the entry on Primero that I put on my website, I'll probably
scan in the entrys for other period card games. If anyone wants any entry
in particular let me know and I'll push it up my to-do list.

Another work I'll transcribe if I can get ahold of a copy is:

Daines Barrington's "Observations on the Antiquity of Card-Playing in
England." In Archeologia, VIII (1787), p. 134-146. If anyone has this I'd
appreciate a copy.

Imran
--
http://bits.bris.ac.uk/imran