hist-games: Game of the Goose

Adrian Seville Adrian.Seville at btopenworld.com
Mon Aug 11 07:14:16 PDT 2003

There is no doubt that the earliest Italian specimens (e.g. the Venice print
by Coriolani, often reproduced, and said to be of date 1640; or another from
the Bertarelli collection, said to be end of the 1600s, reproduced in
Mascheroni and Tinti's book) give the rule for both well and prison as: wait
there to be released by another.  I therefore take this as being the
original rule
for Goose.  It is also the standard rule in several other countries
(England,
France, Netherlands..) in the early 1700s.

As I demonstrated in my statistical analysis of the game presented to the
2002 Board Games in Academia conference in Barcelona, this rule has a
profound effect on the playing of the game.  Indeed, for two players, it can
lead to stalemate, where one player is in one hazard and the other player in
the other hazard. The other rule is free from this problem but leads to a
much
less exciting and varied game.

Adrian Seville