hist-games: Halatafl

thomas at tnt-computer.de thomas at tnt-computer.de
Mon Jul 7 07:00:02 PDT 2003

Hello!

My name's Thomas Nesges, I subscribed to this list because I'm
interested in viking-age games. Hnefatafl is widely known, but there
have been some more. For instance a game called "Halatafl". And that's
where my question goes: Today we know two different games by the name
Halatafl. One is a game also known as "Fox and Geese", take a look at
http://www.arild-hauge.com/vikingspill.htm to get the idea. The other
one is described under
http://www.netspeed.com.au/saffie/Games/Halatafl.htm.

There seems to be a third name used for the Fox-Game: ref-skak. Now it
seems to be that the Fox-Game is "ref-skak" and the other one is
"Halatafl" - but no evidence. Can anybody help me in solving the
problem?

In 1997 Ed Hopkins posted some information about the problem to this
list (http://www.pbm.com/pipermail/hist-games/1997/000026.html) but
didn't tell where he got his info from. I tried to ask him via mail, but
the adress given in his post bounces. Does anybody know him?

Now I'll search your archives for more viking-games :-)

TIA Thomas
--
http://www.trebeta.net