hist-games: Dice Game

Musée Suisse du Jeu u.schaedler at msj.ch
Sun May 25 23:58:45 PDT 2003

Hi,
I remember that this was one of the first dice games I learned when I was a
child (i.e in the 1960s). It was very popular in Germany. My parents and my
grandparents played it sometimes in bars and pubs. It was simply called "Auf
die 5000". The counting of the points is as you describe: 5 = 50, 1 = 100, 3
times a number = 100x. One more detail: If you roll two 5 you can turn one
to make a 1 and reuse the second die.
If you manage to lay aside all the 5 dice you write down the points and you
take up all the dice again to continue. Of course you are allowed to
interrupt your turn whenever you think you have enough points.
Scoring: Often people don't keep triples of 2 or 3, since they count only
200 and 300 points, but reroll these dice.

Best regards
Ulrich Schädler
Swiss Museum of Games