hist-games: Morrocan cards

Alan Winston awinston at scn.org
Thu Apr 24 14:00:15 PDT 2003

> Some friends just sent me a few decks of cards from Morroco, but the
> decks are quite unusual and I wondered if anyone knew why. The suits I
> can understand. Swords, clubs, cups, and coins. The numbering, though,
> is quite unusual. They run ace to seven, there are no eights or nines,
> the tenth card is the page, eleven is the knight, twelve is the queen,
> there is no king. All three decks were sealed in shrink-wrap, so
> there's no chance of missing cards, and the oddities are common to all
> three decks.
>
> Any thoughts?

This is a common arrangement for Spanish suited decks, as made and used
in Spain, Latin America, North Africa, etc.

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Musee/7685/cards6.htm

Some Moroccan cards are made there, in various qualities. I've also seen
Spanish-made decks with backs advertising Moroccan businesses, and I
have a vague recollection of a deck of German or Austrian manufacture.

Alan Winston
Seattle