hist-games: Morrocan cards

ROWEN STUFFER rowenstuffer at comcast.net
Thu Apr 24 13:22:39 PDT 2003

Greetings and salutations -

Some friends just sent me a few decks of cards from Morroco, but the
decks are quite unusual and I wondered if anyone knew why. The suits I
can understand. Swords, clubs, cups, and coins. The numbering, though,
is quite unusual. They run ace to seven, there are no eights or nines,
the tenth card is the page, eleven is the knight, twelve is the queen,
there is no king. All three decks were sealed in shrink-wrap, so
there's no chance of missing cards, and the oddities are common to all
three decks.

Any thoughts?

    - Rowen