hist-games: flower oracles

alexandra nagel xnagel at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 22:21:19 PDT 2003

Thierry, thank you for the suggestions.

> "There is one recent study, published (in French) by Jean-Pierre Seguin, which you may like to read: Jean-Pierre Seguin, "Les 'langages des fleurs' en France au XIXe siècle et leurs archétypes aux XVIe et XVIIe siècles", in: Actes du Colloque "Papiers, Images, Collections", 28, 29, 30 avril 2000, études réunies par Thierry Depaulis (=Le Vieux Papier, Vol. XXXV, No. 358, Oct. 2000), pp. 125-150."

Jean-Pierre Seguin's work is new to me; I'll see if I can obtain it.

> "On Mlle Le Normand, and the apocryphal "Grand Jeu de Mlle Lenormand", you can read: Thierry Depaulis (me again!), Ronald Decker, Michael Dummett, A Wicked Pack of Cards : The Origins of the Occult Tarot, London, Duckworth, 1996. Chapter 7 deals with Mlle Le Normand and "her" pack and also with the so-called "Kleine Lenormandspiele" (Small Lenormand cards)."

"A Wicked Pack of Cards" I do know - that chapter 7 on Mlle Lenormand is very informative.

> "Marc Vulson de La Colombière lived in the 17th century and wrote many (successful) books dealing with symbolism, oracles, heraldry, dreams, etc. His name is sometimes mispelled as Wulson... Have you tried KG Saur's World Biographical Index, Archives Biographiques Françaises, under Vulson, Wulson, Colombiere, La Colombiere?"

I have surfed the internet, and the Univ. Library quite a bit with the combinations Vulson, Wulson, Colombiere, La Colombiere. I don’t know for sure whether I’ve been into the KG Saur's World Biographical Index, Archives Biographiques Françaises, so I’ve to check that. What I do know though, is that, according to the library catalogue, Marc Vulson de la Colombiere died in 1658, which so far I didn’t get confirmed anywhere else. Also I have seen references to his work on heraldry, but haven’t seen any books on it myself.

Alexandra