hist-games: flower oracles

alexandra nagel xnagel at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 23:48:25 PDT 2003

Hi,I've been looking into the history of flower oracle cards and by doing so did some reading in the history of tarot and flower symbolism. But there are quite some major gaps in my knowledge. For now three questions: Does anyone of you know about a connection of the "language of flowers" (made popular in France, England mainly by Charlotte de la Tour, also spelled de Latour, through her book La Langage des Fleur, 1819) and cards or fortune telling games?  There is the Grand Jeu de Mlle Lenormand, having on each card a small bundle of flowers. This deck originated in 1845. Are there other such old decks having on each card a flower and assigning symbolism to it? I've seen Marc Vulson de la Colombiere's Les Oracles Divertisans (1677) that does have a floral lexicon in the back of the book. The book is mainly meant as a game for young women to find out about their love lifes. Does any one of you know something about this book or its author? Reactions are welcome!Regards, Alexandra Nagel