hist-games: Colouring htafl pieces (fwd)

Diane O'Donovan diane_o_donovan at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 14 05:30:47 PDT 2003

Sincere thanks to Tecangl. Problem is (hopefully) solved.

Bibliog on that book is
Thurstan, Violetta, The Use of Vegetable Dyes, Lewins Mead, Dryad Press
(12th, revised edition) 1970.

Though mostly to do with fibre dying it's an excellent work for all
hitorical reconstructions. And once made up the same dyes may be rubbed into
harder surfaces such as wood, bone and sealed leathers. Not all will 'take'
of coruse - one must research and experiment.

Also - and I cannot vouch for this -  I was once told by an old sailing
master (advising on an exhibition for me) that scrimshaw work *was*
sometimes coloured by rubbing in a fine powder of that dye so very common at
sea - the same iron oxide which at other times one worked so assidously to
remove.

Diane O'Donovan