hist-games: Coloring bone tafl pieces?

Chas webmaster at historicgames.com
Sun Mar 30 12:20:01 PST 2003

I'm starting to work on a set of hnefatafl pieces inspired by the bone
game piece found at Woodperry in Oxfordshire as pictured both by Murray
and R.C. Bell. But, I'm debating on best color for the "dark" pieces.
I've been leaning toward red since for two reasons.
1) The 18th & 19th century ivory chess sets that have one side dyed red.
2) Some of the Lewis Chessmen were reported in 1832 to have evidence of
red pigment (Although my understanding is that modern examination by the
British museum was inconclusive on this point.)

And if I do go with red, should I make them solid red like the later
ivory chess sets mentioned or as the Lewis men were portrayed in Harry
Potter? -or should I just "stain" them red so they are still bascally
bone color, but red tinted in the incised lines and details as if tinted
with something like red ochre?

Any opinions?

Chas
--