hist-games: Question on Periodness of Certain Games/Sports

David Parish-Whittaker davidparishwhittaker at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 7 08:53:44 PST 2003

I don't know about medieval prizefights, but here's some information on
Elizabethan prizefights on line-

www.thehaca.com/essays/playpriz.htm
www.iceweasel.org/lmod.html

I suspect that there were medieval prizefights (not including jousts, of
course), but that they were probably not as formal.  More of "behind the
pub" sort of thing.  Remember that there was an outstanding ban on teaching
fence in England until the 16th century.  I'm not that familiar with
prizefighting in other Elizabethan cultures.

BTW, for those of you who do SCA/Adria/reenactment/etc, an Elizabethan
prizefight makes for a GREAT tourney theme.  We had one out here and had the
listmistresses double as bookies with a big chalk board to keep track of
wins/losses.  We handed out a bunch of mexican coins to folks when they paid
their site fee and gave prizes out to the largest purses a couple of hours
after the feast was over (to give everyone plenty of time to dice and play
cards:)).  We also let spectators throw radishes and bread at the
contestants, which seemed to go over well.