hist-games: French horse game??

Cris madmyrddin at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 8 14:55:07 PST 2003

An acquaintance of mine runs an antique store, and sent me the following question:

"I sold an old french game table to a client and he would like some history on it if I can find it. As he is a good friend, I'm making every effort to do so. This table was probably made between 1850 and 1930, I'm thinking it was made in France. The table is square, and the top is inlaid with a marquetry(inlaid wood in wood) design of horses and horse racing. The top of the table has a circular inset. A ball is rolled into the top similar to a roullette ball except this ball is much larger--about the size of a raquetball. There are many indentations in the top with numbers corresponding to each indentation. These indentations are all colored as well. The ball rolls around and around for about 30 seconds and then comes to rest in one of the indentations. The table measures about 5 feet by 5 feet.  Does this sound familiar to you? Or do you have any suggestions as to where I might research this game as to the rules and proper name?"

Cris Jolliff
Pastyme Games
www.pastymegames.com
email cris at pastymegames.com