hist-games: Cardano Translation

David Levy david.levy at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 5 19:48:12 PST 2003

The follow is a translation that tends to be hard to find:

Cardano, Gerolamo. The Book on Games of Chance “Liber de Ludo Aleae”
Translated by Sydney Henry Gould. Forward by Samuel S. Wilks. New York:
Holt, Rinehart and Winston. 1953 and 1961. v+57pp.

It also appears in:

Ore, Oystein. Cardano, The Gambling Scholar. With a translation from the
Latin of Cardano’s Book on Games of Chance, by Sydney Henry Gould.
Princeton: Princeton University Press. 1953. xiv+249pp. Reprinted later by
Dover.

A number of copies of the Ore book are offered on the Advanced Book Exchange
at www.abebooks.com.

David Levy