hist-games: Game Tournament

Jane & Mark Waks waks at attbi.com
Sat Nov 23 10:28:04 PST 2002

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 08:56:19PM -0800, Michael and Susan McKay wrote:
> > I guess the most natural method is to gamble with all the games.  The person
> > with the most "money" at the end of the night is the obvious winner.
>
> Yes, but this doesn't work like you think it might: what I've seen
> happen is that a popular person will ask all their friends to give
> them their money. I think you're better off directly linking it to the
> games, such as "winner gets 1/2 of the loser's money" and prohibiting
> giving money away.

I think you're right about the problem, but the solution needs to be a
little finer-grained, given the wide variety of times that games can
take.

I'd probably recommend the money route, with official stakes
pre-established for each game, based largely on how long the game takes
and whether it's inherently a gambling game or not. (For example, you
want a small base stake for Gleek, because a typical game can trade a
*lot* of stakes, or for Tick-Tack, because it's very quick. Picket or
Chess, by contrast, would have a relatively large stake, because a game
takes longer and is a bit more strategic.)

I concur with Greg that you should explicitly prohibit giving money
away, either directly or indirectly (that is, you shouldn't
intentionally throw games either). This being an SCA event, stating this
and making it a matter of honor *should* be sufficient to keep people in
line. (There are exceptions, but they tend to be conspicuous.)

				-- Justin

Re: Cold Fusion
"I keep waiting for Pons to either (1) describe his experimental setup
 in sufficient detail for anyone to duplicate his results, or
 (2) start a business selling cold fusion kits via ads in the backs of
 comic books."