hist-games: Knave out of doors

Thierry Depaulis thierry.depaulis at freesbee.fr
Mon Nov 18 23:43:10 PST 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 01:35:08 +0000 (GMT) very precisely Imran wrote:

>Trying to find evidence for the card game "knave out of doors" and have
>found the following quotes and wanted to know if others agree with me
>that they refer to the game,
>
>----------------------
>Passage 1:

This is obvious: not only is it in a game context but there are two other
card games here, 'commerce' and 'Beggar my neighbour'. I would bet --Is it
a game? Do we have to guess? How much do we win?-- it is an 18th-c. text.

>Passage 2:
>
>Nick. I can tel you sir the game that master Wendol is best at?
>Wend. What game is that Nick.
>Nick. Marry sir, Knaue out of dores.

Heywood? (Have I won?) ;-)
Indeed it is very likely to be the card game Knave out of doors.

>Passage 3:

The card game here is far from certain.

>Passage 4:

Interesting.

I don't know if it's a game. In all case we want to know where the
quotations come from.

Thierry Depaulis