hist-games: Knave out of doors

Imran Ghory imran at bits.bris.ac.uk
Mon Nov 18 17:35:08 PST 2002

Trying to find evidence for the card game "knave out of doors" and have
found the following quotes and wanted to know if others agree with me
that they refer to the game,

----------------------
Passage 1:

Nay, if we stalk abroad, 'tis still the same,
And every state in Europe has its game:
The Continent at commerce tries her chance,
Beggar my neighbour was the game in France;
That game is up! she now pays off old scores
While Russia plays at--beat knave out of doors.

Passage 2:

Nick. I can tel you sir the game that master Wendol is best at?
Wend. What game is that Nick.
Nick. Marry sir, Knaue out of dores.

Passage 3:

ON your care must depend the success of my suit,
The possession I mean of the house in dispute.
Consider, my friend, an attorney's my foe,
The worst of his tribe, and the best is so, so.
O let not his quiddits and quirks of the law,
O let not not this harpy your poor client claw;
In law as in life, I know well 'tis a rule,
That a knave should be ever too hard for a fool:
To this rule one exception your poor client implores,
That the fool may for once beat the knave out of
doors.

Passage 4:

Come, boys, here's a chance for a fortune. Never say die with the money in
hand. Come down, boys, come down. [Miners gather around the table--some
throw money on the table.] Down, boys--any more? all down? [Draws the
cards.] King--ace--knave in the door. Bank wins.

Knave in the door? A knave is always in the door of a gambler's
bank. Boys, you are fools. Doesn't your money come hard enough, that you
must throw it away?

Incidently I've got some more cards related material on my site now,
including a list of card game lists and a copy of the reconstruction of
Primero given in Nares' Glossary.

Imran
--
http://bits.bris.ac.uk/imran