hist-games: More on period card games

Imran Ghory imran at bits.bris.ac.uk
Mon Oct 28 16:15:29 PST 2002

I've found an usefull resource for the research of period games, the
literary journal "Notes and Queries" in it I've found a number of articles
which have allowed me to find older references to card games. (and indeed
other types of games as well, one letter reports a 1726 diary mentioning
playing Mancala in London !).

In particular the 1913 volume has a series of articles on Primero, well
worth reading for anyone interested in the game.

I've managed to trace up most of the reference but I haven't been able to
confirm the following:

A reference to Gleek in the Privy Purse Expences of Queen Cathrine for the
date of 27 May 1527.

A reference to Trump in the sermons of Michael Menot (d. 1518).

If anyone can confirm either of the above references it'd be much
appreciated.

Additionally in Privy Purse Expences of King Henry VIII the game of "pope
julius" is mentioned a number of times, does anyone know what this game is
?

Imran
--
http://bits.bris.ac.uk/imran