hist-games: dating period card games

Jane & Mark Waks waks at attbi.com
Thu Oct 24 09:06:05 PDT 2002

Thierry Depaulis wrote:
> But this is a modern translation. It would be interesting to have Thomas
> Urquhart's 1653 translation of the list.
> (I haven't found it on the Net.)

Actually, a friend of mine, simply on a lark, happened to transcribe the
Urquhart game list (at least, I believe he was working from Urquhart)
onto the Web just last week. It's at:

	http://www.isebastiani.com/NotesAndLists/Gargantua-Games.html

However, he also alphabetized the list while he was doing so, so
correlating it with the French original isn't simple...

				-- Justin

"20. Yah-hah, evil spider woman! I have captured you by the short
 rabbits and can now deliver you violently to your gynecologist for
 a thorough extermination."
		-- Purportedly a real subtitle from a Hong Kong movie