hist-games: Fidchell pieces

Thierry Depaulis thierry.depaulis at freesbee.fr
Thu Oct 24 05:58:17 PDT 2002

Alex R. Kraaijeveld wrote

>Given that no one knows what kind of game fidchell really was, I'd be very
>interested to know where these pieces come from and to see a photo of them!
>
>Cheers, Lex

But we know what fidchell was! At least Andrea Nuti seems to know...

It's just published, I've received it this morning, and I haven't read it
yet but there is a long article (amazingly in Italian!) on fidchell in the
international journal 'Ludica', "annali di storia e civiltà del gioco",
no.7 (dated... 2001), published by the Fondazione Benetton. The article is:

Andrea NUTI, "Il gioco del fidchell nella letteratura celtica medievale",
in: Ludica, 7, 2001, pp. 18-33.
("The game of 'fidchell' in the medieval Celtic literature")

To order a copy of this thick and interesting multilingual journal
dedicated to the history of games and sports, contact:
Edizione Viella
Via delle Alpi, 52
I - 00198 Roma
E-mail: vialla at flashnet.it