hist-games: dating period card games

Imran Ghory imran at bits.bris.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 04:24:03 PDT 2002

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Alan Winston wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > Through other means I've managed to track down the game to "Saunt" in
> > Tottel's Dice Play (1532), does anyone know if this is the one Cavendish
> > meant ?
>
> Okay, I'll bite:
>
> What is the historical dice game of Saunt?

It was the card game, "Dice Play" is the shortened title normally given to
the work "Manifest detection of the most vyle and detestable use of dice
play and other practices like the same" and in it is a quote along the
lines of  "I pretended not to understand dice game so we played at Saunt
instead" (I'm quoting from memory as I don't have the exact quote to hand,
but that's roughly what it said).

Imran
--
http://bits.bris.ac.uk/imran