hist-games: New Reconstruction of Primero

Jane & Mark Waks waks at attbi.com
Mon Oct 14 19:51:02 PDT 2002

Okay, time to jump into the fray with this. After years of being not
quite happy with any of the extant reconstructions, I've tried my hand
at reconstructing Primero.

I've actually done it as two separate reconstructions, one based mainly
on Cardano, and one on a couple of brief English sources. I'm far from
totally sanguine about either, but I *think* they're closer to matching
the sources than the previous reconstructions I've seen. Neither has
been playtested yet, but I'm not seeing any terribly obvious bugs.

Anyway, folks should feel free to play around with them, and offer
commentary. They're at:

	http://www.waks.org/game-hist/game-recon-primero.html

This also includes a one-page Word cheat sheet that covers both
variants.

				-- Justin

"The American press are the types in button-down shirts with three
 advanced degress, drinking high-fibre soda water.
 The British press are the overweight bunch with Glaswegian accents,
 chain-smoking and drinking whisky."
		-- From "A Guide for the Bewildered", in The Economist