hist-games: Re: hist-games digest, Vol 1 #57 - 2 msgs

Cris madmyrddin at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 4 12:34:30 PDT 2002

> Alternatively, does anyone have any special reccomendations regarding
> period games rules, appropriate to ca. 13-15th c. Spain? I'm mainly
> interested in games that can be learnt relatively quickly. I'm going
> over the links at Medieval & Renaissance Games Home Page but the sheer
> amount of names is mind-boggling!!

One of my favorite games from that region is about 100 years older than your
period, but is probably still very appropriate, and was discussed in Alfonso
X's treatise on games. It was called El Quirkat by the Moors who invaded
lower Gaul (now Spain and Portugal) and left the game behind to be renamed
by the Spaniards to "Alquerque." It is basically an early version of
checkers or draughts, but more aggressive...

>Can anyone tell me what the numbered spaces on a Gluckhaus board "mean"?
>For example, I now that 2 is the lucky pig, and 12 is the king, but what
>about the rest?

Spaces 2, 7, and 12 are almost always the same: 2 is a boar (or in your
case, lucky pig), 7 is a wedding, and 12 is a king. The rest vary widely
depending on the artist, and hold no particular significance that I have
discovered.
The game play is such that rolling a two collects the entire contents of the
board (thus your lucky pig) _except_ for what lies on the seven, rolling a
seven means add a coin to seven (everyone brings presents to a wedding), and
rolling a 12 means you get everything on the board, including what is on
seven (as the King collects his taxes). All other rolls required the player
to place a coin on the corresponding number if empty, or take the coin if
already placed. Some boards don't have a no. 4 space, and rolling a four on
these boards meant you neither took nor left a coin.