hist-games: Historical games ebooks

trevor.james trevor.james at virgin.net
Fri Aug 16 05:36:23 PDT 2002

Dear All,

Murrays's books "History of Chess" (ISBN 9 780198 274032); GBP 35, &
"History of Board Games other than Chess" (ISBN 9 780198 274018); GBP
15, are both available, as OUP facsimile reprints, from:
Oxbow Books
Park End Place
OXFORD.
UK
OX1 1HN

Tel: (+44)-1865-241249
Fax: (+44)-1865-794449
Email: oxbow at oxbowbooks.com

They have email addresses & agents all over the world, too.
I got both for GBP 53-75, including postage_within_UK, in April 2002 -
"my plastic tells me so." And as a bonus, they are printed on acid-free
paper. Which is nice.

So, they're both likely to be well within copyright. There are no
copyright dates in the books, other than the original ones of 1913 &
1952, respectively. However, AFAIK, Murray was 'working' at Oxford
Univ., so it's entirely possible that copyright resides with the OUP -
and that's for as long as OUP 'lives'!

BTW, Michael, unless you search for "DUMMETT's" book, you won't have any
success <G>.

Cheers,
Trevor (York,UK)