hist-games: Historical games ebooks

Imran Ghory ImranG at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 15 15:40:39 PDT 2002

Given that a number of books on the history of games are now out
of copyright is anyone making ebooks of them (or interested in
doing so) ?

As virtually all books prior to 1923 are out of copyright in most of
the world (including Fiske's Chess in Iceland, and Murray's History
of Chess) maybe it would be an idea to scan them, OCR them and
make them available as ebooks as many of these books are hard
to get hold of.

I would scan the 1913 of Murray myself but it's to big to fit in my
flatbed scanner (I think I'd need either a large flatbed, orbital, or
hand scanner to do it). Project Gutenberg (a large project to
produce free ebooks of Public Domain books) only has two books
on games, one on modern chess by Lasker and Bird's "Chess
History and Reminiscences". (I'm currently working on producing
Hoffman's Hoyle's Games Modernized and someone else is
working on another Lasker).

Imran Ghory