hist-games: [Fwd: History of Chess]

Jane & Mark Waks waks at attbi.com
Sat Jul 27 14:23:41 PDT 2002

Imran Ghory wrote:
> I've got a photo from the Butrint Foundation, I've put it up on the
> web at,
>
> http://www.bits.bris.ac.uk/imran/games/chess.jpg

Very useful -- thanks much for putting this up.

Okay, so the question is: is it a chess piece? The shape is certainly
suggestive of one (indeed, my gut says that it looks like a King), but
the dating of the piece to the 6th century makes me nervous about that
conclusion. Are there known early pieces that had roughly this form?

(Mind, I'm not drawing any conclusions one way or t'other: I simply
don't know enough about the subject myself. If it *is* a chessman, it's
quite relevant for understanding the dissemination of the game. But
because of that significance, the assertion needs to be treated with
care...)