hist-games: farkle

SEDWilkins at aol.com SEDWilkins at aol.com
Fri May 3 07:43:07 PDT 2002

In my research I never came across any evidence of "Farkle" per se in the
medieval era. Hasard was *the* premier dicing game of Europe during the
middle ages (although it didn't peak until the seventeenth century).

BUT--

Dice games are universal, ancient and notoriously fluid. In the ancient
world, in addition to astragals in Europe and Africa, there were lulu in the
South Pacific, smetale and waltes and a thousand other variations in the
Americas, and dice (of various shapes) and dominos in Asia.

Game variations developed (and continue to develop) over time and from place
to place, and spontaneous creation of similar variations is not unusual.
Games in which the object is to accumulate a particular score without
exceeding it are not uncommon. (In fact, that is the essence of any race game
in which you must roll an exact number to exit the board, such as
Moksha-patamu/Snakes and Ladders.) Games which require a precise roll to
enter (or to bet) are also common. (Ashtapada, the probably forerunner of
chaupur, for example.) Games with these characteristics were played
throughout medieval Asia and Europe AND in the pre-Columban Americas. And the
notion of "quit now and keep your winnings or play again and chance losing
them" is found in games from marbles to "Millionaire."

So is it possible that somewhere in medieval Europe people were playing a
game that involved 1) rolling dice 2) needing a particular roll to begin 3)
with the object of accumulating the highest score without passing a
particular number?  Very possible indeed. Was it called Farkle? You can't
prove it wasn't, but I suspect you can't prove it was, either.

There is some credibility to the suggestion made on one personal website
whose author says the name means "little pig" in German and that epithet was
assigned to the loser. I believe the term for piglet in modern German is
ferkel.

Sally Wilkins
<A
HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0313317119/gl

ance/ref=pm_dp_ln_b_1/102-7486696-8176929">Sports and Games of Medieval
Cultures</A>
Greenwood Press, 2002