hist-games: farkle

Jane & Mark Waks waks at attbi.com
Thu May 2 12:58:16 PDT 2002

BCSEnt wrote:
> She also said someone sent
> her an article from the east-coast (magazine or person from the east?) about
> the game dating back at least 300 years. But she didn't know the mag nor
> article... And she wasn't sure of the magazine's authenticity.

I'd be suspicious, especially if the Wimpout folks claim to have
invented their game out of the whole cloth. (Since the two games
certainly appear to be related in some fashion.) If I think of it, I'll
look into this a little more: one of the people behind early Wimpout is
active in the SCA (Master Anton of Winteroak), and he may be able to
shed some light on the question.

Meantime, if you hear anything more about the game actually dating back
more than a couple of decades, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
300 years is a far cry from the Middle Ages, but it would still be
interesting, if true.

> www.faires.com/farkle has the rules (google search), ending in "... as such
> is against the law of our goode Quenne Elizabeth." But I'm not about to take
> their word on game origins when I have such a good games authority source
> here!!! I agree they could be "ageing" a popular game!

I think it's very likely, especially since there's no attribution or
anything. Speaking as someone who writes "retro" rules for games on a
regular basis (The Ace's Booke, which I'm slowly writing, is "set" in
the 1600's), this sort of thing happens all the time. I'd bet that this
is a modern writeup that has lost its credit...