hist-games: Captain's Mistress

Chas webmaster at historicgames.com
Thu Apr 4 06:04:44 PST 2002

Had a Girl Scout leader asking about date for the origin of the
"Captain's Mistress" (aka ("Connect Four" on Milton Bradley's copyright
version). I have a wooden version we got from The Museum Company store
that had an insert that makes the claim: "Captain Cook, on his three
major voyages of the South Pacific would retire to his quarters along
with his fellow shipboard scientists to play this game."
D. Parlett's "Oxford History of Board Games" simply says it is a
traditional game.

Chas

--
MacGregor Games
Purveyors of historic pastimes to re-enactors around the world