Fwd: hist-games: Mad Queen chess

JTStewart jtstewart at optusnet.com.au
Tue Feb 26 18:11:12 PST 2002

Hi there.
This site ( http://www.chess-poster.com/english/chesmayne/the_queen.htm )
appears to be well researched about the queen in Chess.  It seems to
suggest that the Spanish played it sometime before 1497 as Luis Ramirez of
Lucena, of Spanish origin, wrote a book called the Art of Chess in 1497,
which mentions the mad queen version.  His book is apparently the oldest
surviving book dealing with practical play of chess.

Another site ( http://www.netidea.com/~smartbar/origins_of_chess.htm ) says
"Over a period of time the Bishop and Queen grew in strength to what they
are now days. Literature of the time refer to the new game as "The Queen's
Chess", or less complimentary name: "Mad Queen"."

I hope that helps.
Cheers
John