hist-games: Tafl Boards -- How to Make

Jane & Mark Waks waks at attbi.com
Sat Feb 23 11:05:28 PST 2002

[This is a resend, since my posting address has changed.]

So I've found myself with a commission to make a hnefetafl board, and
I'm trying to figure out how best to do it. The person I'm making it for
has a norse persona, and I'd like to make the board as correctly as I
conveniently can.

I have the sources that tell me what the extant boards (and fragments)
*look* like, but there are a couple of open questions that I haven't yet
found the answers to, relating to the construction details. Most
importantly: does anyone know how the board would most likely have been
*drawn*? Would it be painted? Carved? Burned? Also, any ideas what sort
of wood would be most appropriate for the period?

Any info would be appreciated. While I know a good deal about games, my
knowledge of period crafts is a good deal more limited...