hist-games: Rhymomachy source on the Web

Jane & Mark Waks waks at ne.mediaone.net
Sat Dec 15 09:18:51 PST 2001

For those feeling a little ambitious: I just stumbled upon the SCETI
project, a very nice collection of period sources scanned in and placed
on the Web. And in that project, they have what appears to be a
collection of documents about Rhythmomachy:

http://dewey.library.upenn.edu/sceti/ljs/PageLevel/index.cfm?option=view&ManID=ljs232

(Note that that URL wraps, so you may have to paste it back together to
make it work.)

The source (a set of letters and treatises by Benedetto Varchi) is a
bunch of Italian manuscripts, mostly written in a very elegant and clear
hand. If someone's looking for a good project, I'd love to see these
transcribed and translated...

In general, SCETI looks well worth digging through in more detail. The
sources seem to be generally well-scanned, and are available at several
resolutions. It even allows you to read at a fairly low resolution
(convenient for downloading and viewing on the screen), and when you
click on the image it shows that part of the image in hi-res (for trying
to figure out the less clear bits). Don't know if there are more game
sources available; this is the one that comes up on the keyword
"game"...