hist-games: please more game details

Jeff Zeitlin jzeitlin at cyburban.com
Sat Dec 1 19:33:23 PST 2001

On Sat, 01 Dec 2001 22:25:53 -0500, Jane & Mark Waks <waks at ne.mediaone.net>
wrote:

>Personally, I haven't found it all that hard to teach chess variants;
>the bigger problem is *motivating* people to play with one of the older
>variants instead of the modern game. Since the modern game is
>approximately period, I don't lose too much sleep over that, but I try
>to teach period versions when I can, and those who are really interested
>in games usually pick up on that.

>I've found that Four Seasons Chess tends to be pretty popular, and
>Tamurlane's Chess catches the attention of those who like complex games.
>Basic shatranj is easy to teach, but tends to not be all that popular
>since it's rather slower than the modern game. Dice chess is sometimes
>popular among those who aren't so serious about the game, since the
>element of luck tends to even the game up a bit.

I also find that teaching people games with minimal variation from the
modern game works fairly well - most of the time, I teach 'no pawn double
move (and therefore no en-passant), Queen one space diagonally only, bishop
exactly two spaces, no leap'.
--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin at cyburban.com
(ILink: news without the abuse. Ask via email.)