hist-games: Early Polyhedral Dice?

Chas webmaster at historicgames.com
Mon Dec 3 00:16:48 PST 2001

Alexx S Kay wrote:

> > I was recently reading "Games Gods and Gambling A History of Probability and
> > Statistical Ideas" by F. N. David. A history and it mentions a 20-sider made
> > of rock crystal in the Louvre, but doesn't mention a probable date for it.
> > (Probably for divination rather than gaming?) It seems to me in some book I've
> > read also mention of some Roman-era polyhedral dice in the British museum.
> > Does anyone have more info on these possible early higher number dice?
>
> kkI don't know about those specifically, but I recall a board-and-dice
> game based on an astronomy theme that called for a 7-sided die.  Haven't
> got a reference to hand, but it might ring bells for someone...

Alphoso X's "Book of Games" has 7 siders to go with a 7-player Backgammon
game. There appear to be two version one a 7-sided "log" or stave die, the
other a short pentagonal which of course would have 5 rectangular faces and 2
pentagonal faces.

I would list a link to it on the Book of Games website for the illustration,
but I'm doing a major overhaul on it. Someone sent me photos of -every- page
taken from a facsimile edition!
-wohoo!

Chas
--
MacGregor Games
Purveyors of historic pastimes to re-enactors around the world