hist-games: Early Polyhedral Dice?

Chas webmaster at historicgames.com
Sun Dec 2 04:54:19 PST 2001

I was recently reading "Games Gods and Gambling A History of Probability and
Statistical Ideas" by F. N. David. A history and it mentions a 20-sider made
of rock crystal in the Louvre, but doesn't mention a probable date for it.
(Probably for divination rather than gaming?) It seems to me in some book I've
read also mention of some Roman-era polyhedral dice in the British museum.
Does anyone have more info on these possible early higher number dice?

Chas
--
MacGregor Games
Purveyors of historic pastimes to re-enactors around the world