hist-games: please more game details

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Sat Dec 1 14:08:44 PST 2001

Jane & Mark Waks <waks at ne.mediaone.net> wrote:
>There are many, many games on my list. But in practice, the ones I seem
>to teach and play most often are:
>
>Cards:
>Gleek -- a good high-stakes card game
>Laugh and Lie Down -- a lightweight and social gambling game
>Picket -- my pick of the two-player games
>Primero -- nearest thing to poker
>Tarot -- fun and easy to teach
>
>Boards:
>Game of the Goose -- trivial, but pleasant diversion for as many as will
>Rhythmomachy -- hands-down the most sophisticated game I know, from any
>era
>Ticktack -- my favorite tables game, quick but more complex than it
>looks
>Alea Evangelii -- rather unbalanced, but always a good challenge
>
>Other:
>Boules -- a good 4-player recreation for a nice day
>Hurling -- violent as all heck, but the best exercise I get
>Kubb -- a new favorite; I just wish I was sure it's actually period
>Shove Groat -- a fine indoor time-waster

I wold appreciate it if you could give more info on all of these games and
maybe a site where I can find info on them.  I joined the list to get game
ideas for my daughter who is 10 for while she is at events.  She really
likes to play games and I would like to help her get together the materials
to play many of them when we go to events, so she has something she likes
to do.  For the one thing she has had the most fun doing at an event was
being in the chess match and she had a ball doing that, having the longest
game in the tourney against one of the eventual finalists.  My timid child
sat there and kept on playing with over 20 people gathered around watching
her play. She had fun dressing up for the live action final and was a
bishop, she was just disappointed to be utilized so little, but glad they
wern't playing Wizard's Chess.  They also called her up in court to
congratulate her for how well she had done and to say that they look
forward to watching her in the future, it was a point in time when the
dream of the SCA was hers.

Thank you in advance for the info on these games and any other sources that
will be sent for her.

Thanks,

Susan

We are all very beautiful models of imperfection.
Ulfie