hist-games: Snap Dragon

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Tue Apr 24 20:10:01 PDT 2001

> Does any one have any info on how this is played?  I gather that you
> grab the raisins out of the flaming brandy, but what's the point of the
> game, and how do you keep from setting yourself on fire?

The versions I've seen mentioned plums and other slightly larger fruits.
They're placed in a pan of brandy and it's set on fire.  No hands are to
be used, one just ducks in and grabs fruit by the teeth and tries to get
back out without getting burned.
I don't think it's very safe, as every source I've ever seen mentioned that
people got hurt playing it.
If wished, I think I could scare up a bibliography of sources, but none
has much in-depth info.

- Teceangl
                  "He washed his mouth and can't do a thing with it."
						     - SJK  8-28-96  04:23