hist-games: Pre-15 Centure Dice

Jane & Mark Waks waks at ne.mediaone.net
Fri Apr 20 20:13:40 PDT 2001

Brent Hanner wrote:
>  In both excavations of London and King's Lynn have turned up bone dice.
>  Not necessarily knucklebones.  The dice appear to be cut from a solid
>  bone.  Do you have any evidence of clay or ceramic dice?  Does anyone?

I'd be interested in hearing any positive evidence of ceramic dice in
common use. I've frequently talked with folks who assume that they were
used in period, but I agree that I've yet to hear any primary references
to them.

On a little reflection, I can believe that ceramics might not have been
used for dice in period. Most period ceramics I've seen aren't all that
durable (at least relative to modern ceramics), and dice get abused
pretty regularly. It seems like anything less hardy than bone might not
survive long enough to be worth the effort. (But some real primary
information would be far more useful than speculation...)